Thursday, January 3, 2013

Dan and the City

January 3, 2013

Waaazzzzzuuuppp??!!


Daniel Porter here, I’m giving you all a shout out from the beautiful land of London. I currently live my life as a Junior Nursing student at CSS. I am here because I am finishing up the last of my credits for the Honors program and what better way than to study abroad!

So far this trip has been nothing short of amazing. It’s been a rollercoaster of fun but I couldn't imagine exploring a country with a better group of people (queue ‘awws’).

London Calling
So I initially set out to find the love of my life:
                      Emma Watson in an upcoming Disney live-action film, Beauty and the Beast.

While I have yet to see her fear not for I will continue to seek her out.

  
I got a feeling…
I also was able to break in the New Year from the lovely city of Bath where I kept things rather low-key, perhaps a foreshadowing of the year ahead.

                                                 A picture of Europe on New Years Eve.

Well, that sums up some previous thoughts, let's get on with my actual blog!

 Werewolves of London

So, my day technically began with an adventure with my new pal Charles the Second. We found ourselves famished in the wee hours of the morning after an evening filled with tomfoolery and music and delightful games and so we set course to our local King of Burgers. Upon our arrival we discovered that contradictory to our previous understandings it had closed for the evening. Upon further observation we noticed some noblemen walking from the East with what appeared to be sustenance in hand. We followed their path to stumble upon the great Golden Arches. After relinquishing ourselves of hunger we engaged in a discussion with some lovely locals who were kind enough to set us on a path to the beautiful section of Soho. Here we continued to meet some lovely people of the night and observed other nobles having a disagreement of sorts, though it seemed to be sorted out rather quickly.



After a night filled with such wonderful culture we made our way back to our flat as our adventures had led to the rising of the sun and we knew we would be best suited to find rest.


“A picture is a poem without words.” ~ Horace
Just a few short hours later (literally I only got 3-4 hours of sleep), Charles the Second and I were awakened from our slumber to partake in a traditional English breakfast. After such a joyous event we parted ways as Charles had made arrangements to see the wonderful world of Harry Potter and I had decided to take the opportunity to explore more of London.

Two lovely companions, Sydnee and Hannah, accompanied me to the National Gallery where I was submerged in a world of talent. I wish I could share with you all that I saw but I quickly discovered, via a lovely conversation with a local worker, that I was not permitted to take photographs. So I will leave you with this:

Moment when the gallery lady had the nerve to tell me I couldn't take pictures. 
She must not have realized that I am an American and I’ll do as I please.

After leaving the National Gallery we took some time to do touristy things:


Hannah and me in front of one of the lions in Trafalgar Square.

“My stomach feels like a keg” ~  Alicia Roles

Upon returning from Trafalgar Square my fellow classmates joined me in a trek to our local pub where we broke bread together and shared smiles (I made funny comments) and tears (some of the girls, who will remain unnamed, made fun of me).  Upon further solidifying our friendships over a glass of Peroni we returned to our flat to continue memory making and Youtube sharing.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you find Emma, Dan. I will keep an eye out for her as well! ;)

    ReplyDelete