Friday, January 4, 2013

Harry Potter Studio Tour!

January 3, 2013


Hello Internet People!

            My name is Alexa Pulliam and I am a Senior Theatre major at CSS. After I tell you a little about myself, I am more than happy to tell you of the happenings of today! I am from St. Cloud and decided that CSS looked like a good place to make my new home. After being there for four years I have really found my love for literature and the arts. Between my times Assistant Directing, Stage Managing, Light/Sound Board Operating, and being hired as an Electrician within our Little Theatre, my experiences with theatre have become very well rounded. This is not the first time that I have traveled over the pond. When I was a senior in high school, I traveled to Germany for a few weeks through my German class. It's really great to be able to fly across the ocean once more. I think that's just enough about me for us to get started.
            Today, a majority of us woke up early to get ready for a grand adventure to the Harry Potter Studios. 
We took the tube to the train station, which was a new experience for most of us, and then made our way to the bus station. We were greeted by a double decker bus that was covered in Harry Potter pictures and scenes. Once we reached the studios, excitement rose in everyone! Almost running off of the bus we made our way to the studio. From the second we walked in the doors, it was magical. I can't tell much more than that because there are secrets behind those doors that aren't to be shared with just any ole Joe. Let's just say that the three to five hour walk through the studios left everyone either in tears or grinning from ear to ear (or both).

            Making our way back home, the little group that I'm with decided that a nap was much needed. It was the best hour of sleep I've ever had. After waking up, we decided to go and try something new. Curry seemed like a good option and had the potential to be a “high class” meal. I use quotes because after being in college, running to Perkins becomes high class.
            But it really was a classy place that we found. I had never tried curry or any form of Indian cuisine. I must insist that everyone tries curry! It was delicious! I had Chicken Hau...something...with cheese nan. It was also reasonably priced too, which has become a hard thing to find in the big city of London. Our Indian adventure being complete we headed to our first London pub and enjoyed the atmosphere that only the English can provide. A quick trip to Tesco (local groceries store) and an evening full of British talk shows completed our evening. Another great day in the vast city of London!

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear you tried curry as well!

    Our literature class had dinner as a group tonight at a curry restaurant close to the hotel, and it was surprisingly good.

    Most of us had no idea what we were ordering, but we ate our food for the most part. Curry is the national dish of England, so I feel that anyone in England should try curry while visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is some more to the story...
    I also attended the Harry Potter tour but was in a group that took slightly longer to move our way through the studio. We had the pleasant opportunity to meet George, an 18 year old British "inter-actor" (one who knows a lot about Harry Potter). While there are no official tour guides at the Harry Potter Studios, George became our unofficial tour guide and both showed and told us wonderful tidbits that would not normally be discovered on this tour.

    Being we were the last group to leave the studios we also found ourselves involved in an evacuation situation. A alarm went off sending everyone outside for at least 15 minutes. Of course we took pictures and then went back inside to pay for our trinkets from the gift shop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. During our free time Dan, Hannah, and I went to the National Gallery. It was my favorite thing to see in London! I am still in awe at having been able to stand with great art from history! Da Vinci, Money, Van Gogh, Rembrandt, Renoir, Michelangelo, Botticelli! The list goes on and on! I really hope you all got a chance to marvel at such wonders!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There was a small group of us that did not attend Harry Potter World and with this extra free time we ventured to Covenant Gardens and experienced markets in London for the first time. Here is where I learned that even if the market is called Apple Market does not mean that they sell apples. These areas are just a chaotic mess of items from very touristy shirts to very interesting pictures.

    ReplyDelete