Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Paintings, Photos, and a Play


January 8, 2013

My name is Becca Vaughan; I am a junior at St. Scholastica, an art major and sign language minor.  I chose to come on this trip because I have never been abroad before and it was the perfect opportunity! This trip is the start of my 5 month adventure of studying abroad. When everyone else comes home from London, I head to Germany and then to Ireland for the CSS semester in Ireland.

Over all, we ended up having a very relaxing, but productive day today. Starting off with a trip to the National Portrait Gallery, which was amazing!


After, we wanted to see more paintings (remember, I’m an art major) and went over to the National Gallery. This is where more of the more “known” artists are. I loved it! Having just finished an Art History class, I have studied many of the artists. Knowing the artists makes the works so much more inspirational when seeing them in person. Most of the works that are “well-known” paintings weren’t featured in the gallery, which made the experience kind of odd. Although I recognized many of the artist’s names and the style of their work, I had never seen many of the paintings before and that showed me many new works. It would have been fun to see more “famous” paintings, though.
Next, we wondered over to Trafalgar Square, where we saw this awesome street performer who would pose people as matrix moves. Then we had an adventure trying to climb up on the lions because they were just cleaned and sprayed down with water which made them slippery. But we made it up!



We spotted a Gold mail box, which means an Olympic Gold Medalist lives in that part of town. Eleanor Jackson, our awesome tour guide told us that on the first day, so we were very excited to finally spot one.


While walking back to the hotel for a short refreshing nap, we stopped and took pictures with Big Ben! 


Since we are in London, only for a few more days and we love to shop, we decided to hit up Primark. Primark is a four level store, super cheap clothing. Not having much time between shopping and our play, we went to the local grocery store and had a picnic in our lobby! Delicious and cheap!!

Our play performance for the night was War Horse and it was phenomenal! If I hadn’t gone to Wicked, this would be my favorite play! Multiple people crying, the horses looked so real, and after the show we got to go talk to two of the actors who we met previously at a workshop! We got to ask them any questions we wanted to -- a really neat experience.


Ending the night by topping it off with some great ice cream!
Two days left, let’s make it a great trip, one to remember and never forget!

2 comments:

  1. Warhorse was not what I expected at all. The way they used puppets to play the animals was truely amazing, and after a while became so real. I am not a huge fan of animal movies or plays, however this one was pretty great! And I am still amazed that Joey does not die at the end!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a Lit member, I am not particularly the most involved in theater and as a viewer I'm not very critical of things like that. I actually found this play to be something spectacular! It was so cool to see how they made the horses look so real and the littlest things you might not think of such as ears twitching and the breathing was preformed was really neat. I also loved the story with the history of World war one, that was really interesting. In all I would say this play was my favorite of the three that we were able to see. It was a play I would definitely not have picked for myself right away, but I'm really glad I had the opportunity to.

    ReplyDelete